Saturday, September 18, 2010

Better

On Thursday, I had a rough day with my kids. Several sweet girls independently came to ask me about switching  OUT of my class and possibly into the honors class or into one of my other classes. This totally made me feel like I needed to be a hard ass in 6th period which completely backfired. There was even more talking and interruption than usual. Even more so, we all had a crappy period. So after I talked it out with Andy, I had a plan. I needed to call kids out, grill them with questions, have positive expectations, and have a snack BEFORE class started.
Haha, I had a pear before they came but this is a funny pic.

Results?

It was much better! I found that I could enjoy their banter because I was stepping in, commenting on something related and cutting it off. Not a complete success because they still needed extra time but definitely a more positive experience for both parties. As for the girls that didn't like the rowdiness of the class, I'm hoping to get them to see the value of a diverse class that may not only want to sit, read and learn.

We have a 20 minute period where kids are supposed to bring a book and read. Of course, very few of my students bring a book. So Teeny, Alex, and I went to the 1/2 price books warehouse sale. Such a good deal! Books were no more than $2. Score :)

Oh, I also was called a racist the 2nd week of school. Good thing that is over.

2 comments:

bellesprites said...

i wanna know why they called you racist

susanchenjackson said...

Me too. I've never been called a racist, but I once called by a racist word in high school.